18 January 2013

Favourite Things Friday

About 8 months ago my 4 year old dishwasher died.  I should of known that it wouldn't be a long term proposition when it got a recall on it within 3 months and then another at 6 months.  It then just stopped heating up the water, thinking it was probably just a thermostat I rang and got a tech out, to find that no it was the computer gizmo thing that was gone and the part would be $400 and then there would be a couple of hours of work involved after that to get it working again.  So I paid the $120 to hear that cheerful news and decided we could do the dishes by hand for a while it wouldn't be that bad.

Well it was that bad, and we decided that we would get a new dishwasher.  I was all for spending not much getting an el cheapo thing because if it was only going to last 4 years I wasn't going to spend big bucks.  Then I had coffee with the girls last week and one had had a Bosche for 30 years and the other swore by her Miele.

We happened to be in the city last week and decided to have a quick look before our dentist appointment.  The bottom of the range Bosche had a plastic bottom which didn't excite DH, but the Miele bottom of the range although it didn't have the pull out cutlery draw (Dishwasher Nirvana) it did look roomy inside was all stainless steel and $200 off.

There had to be a bit of demolition to fit it in the gap, however it is installed, with another minor hiccup being that it required dishwasher salt. DH did a "What the (*&^%^" This is going to be a piece of ^%$#.  I made enquiries and made the purchase of dishwasher salt from the place where we bought the dishwasher (why the hell the sales guy didn't tell us about it is beyond me but it did take him 1/2 hour to complete the sale with his 2 fingered typing).

DH would marry the dishwasher if he could he is so happy with it.  Plenty of room for plates, the dishes dry and he doesn't have to stand a wash dishes with me anymore.  Either one of us can't stand each other's dish washing technique (his involves washing each dish, glass or piece of cutlery separately and I am not kidding took minimum an hour to complete).  After putting up with that for 8 months I might even marry the dishwasher.

So Miele is my FTF this week.  Head on over to Mrs P to check out everyone elses.  


10 comments:

Kate said...

Great favorite. I don't want to contemplate being without a dishwasher for more than a couple of weeks, much less 8 months!

Marie said...

okay ... dishwasher salt? gotta google that one!

never ever be without a dishwasher ... !

Leanne said...

Well done on no dishwasher for 8 months. What does the salt do?

Kris said...

Yeah, I'm curious about the salt too. I have had Bosch for years. Not 30 years, because any kind of appliance lives a hard life at my house! (When there are ten of you living in your house dishwasher years don't equal human years!)

Glad you are so happy with your new purchase! I just wouldn't do without a dishwasher now!

Shay said...

OK I'm laughing so hard right now about DH's dishwashing technique and the way you described it.

Congratulations on the new dishwasher. We narrowed our choices down between the Miele and the Bosch too. We went with Bosch. I think you did an amazing job of going without a dishwasher for so long. If mine died I'd be down the shops that very day ...

It appears you picked a winner for your favourite this week!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Congrats on your new family member. We did the same thing and managed until grown up children began bringing lots of extras home and then disappearing before the dishes were done....straight to the shops....1 new dishwasher!
Great favourite.

Sue SA said...

DH grew up without a dishwasher, had one when we started living together and then had to do without for a year - he whined the whole time! I was amazed he doesnt complain about anything, but I think he too would marry the dishwasher if he could! Oh wait he did, I still have to do the dishes on my own eg bread boards etc!

Marg said...

I don;t know how you lasted that long without one. I love my Miele dishwasher. I'm supposed to put salt in mine too but haven't, so far so good.

thea said...

Great favorite! I grew up without a dishwasher so having one now is mandatory ..

Marti said...

I would hate to go back to life without a dishwasher. One of my favorite things too.