10 January 2017

Bookish

Of course I have been doing lots of reading over the break.  Before kids, I use to read books on my own never talking about the books I read because lets face it I read Sci Fi Fantasy books and nobody in my circle read much or read these types of book, others just look at you weird.   I now read lots of different types of books, lots of romance,  Sci fi Fantasy,  paranomal, the occasional thriller, classics and historical fiction, but I have never been involved in a book club.

I'm actually quite an introvert so a face to face book club is probably way out of my comfort zone.  However since discovering reading again, with new genres and new authors and now reading with the added connection of social media and all the lovely links that you find in the back of ebooks you can actually interact with authors like never before and as an extension of that join reading groups online which is pretty fun.

One of my favourite author's reading group (Penny Reid)  started reading one of her novels today.  I've read the book a couple of times so its no biggy if I don't read along but its fun to interact with other readers give your opinion.  Of course there is no obligation to say anything and you can just read all the feedback and how others view the various characters if you want.

Some of the groups are reading groups and only open up to discussion when they are going through the book, like Penny's.  Others are for a specific type of genre or just one author's books with lots of discussions about all their books with read alongs thrown in along the way.  

I'm in a one dedicated to a group of male romance authors which is a lot of fun they have video read alongs every week and various video discussions.  Only problem is I am usually at work when these are on and some get a it naughty so probably not good at work listening.  A couple of the authors get a bit excited when reverse sexism comes up in the press, or stuff about indie writers not being proper authors etc so you get the occasional rant which is fair enough as it is the way they make a living.   But the guys are great writers and they can write from both the female and male perspective and their books cover a broad range of genre's and subtypes and they constantly interact with their readers.

Another great thing about following authors is that they all support each other, cheer each other on and promote and share good books they have read freely, introducing you to new authors along the way.

So it isn't hard to understand that my TBR list is a bit out of control at the moment and doesn't show any sign of getting any smaller in the near future.




 


1 comment:

Kate said...

I read a lot of science fiction when I was in school. Thankfully being in science classes, there were a number of people (mainly guys) that shared the interest. I envy DT, her group of friends are all big readers and they all sample each other's favorites. Going to dinner with that group can be make one feel like an outsider if you haven't read the book. They have some serious discussions on them.